Every good and perfect gift (only God gives perfect gifts) is form above coming down from the father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows! James 1:17 NIV
· We want to put a magnifying glass on the promises of God.
o We want to be able to see the promises clearly in our lives
o When you MAGIFY THE PROMISES it ELIMINATES DOUBT AND UNBELIEF (fear)
o look to what God says and not to what our circumstances, or the enemy of our soul says.
· Every good and perfect gift comes from God:
o if it is perfect we should want to know!
o “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints.” Ephesians 1:18 NIV (pray that light is brought to your understanding)
· In the church of Corinth, they were using the gifts of God in disorder, even though the gifts were present Paul calls them a baby church. (possessing the gifts does not equal maturity or right living).
o Paul would say that he could not feed them meat only milk
o So Paul had to teach them how to live in the spirit and how to operate in the gifts (properly)
o (notice the church was moving in the gifts not just the apostles)
o * keep in mind 1st and 2nd Corinthians was not written yet Paul was writing them at the time he was dealing with these issues in the church*
o So this was a young church lacking the word and direction
· We want to build upon this foundation (which is Christ)
o The most important part of our faith is Christ (as our foundation)
o What ever we decide to build on top of our foundation has to be able to hold (made with precious metals not straw) →family, businesses, ministries, children, ect…
v Let’s begin!
· Many times, believers don’t know (biblically why) they believe the things they believe.
o Verbalize what we believe with the word of God, so when someone asks us we are able to give a response.
o Knowing what God say (knowing the word) always builds faith in your life and gives you confidence when you step out to use your gifts!
· “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the spirit, especially prophecy.” 1 Corinthians 14:1 NIV
o The greatest gift of all is Love! Follow its path.
o Desire the gifts of the spirit, this is what the word commands us to do.
· “Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed.” 1 Corinthians 1:7 NIV
o This says a few things: 1. The gifts of the spirit are for today. 2. We lack no spiritual gift until the coming of the Lord.
o “that in everything you are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: so that you come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ”. 1 Corinthians 1:5-7 KJV
· So then: we want the mind of the believer to be put on spiritual things
o Set your mind (affections KJV) on the things above and not on the things that are on the earth? Colossians 3:2 NIV (in difficult decisions)
o Our will should be to look for God’s will
· The Jonah factor!
o God sad “go to Nineveh” Jonah- “I don’t want to go”
o God- “go to Nineveh” Jonah- “I’ll go to tarsus”
o God- “go to Nineveh” Jonah- “no” (so here comes a big storm!)
o God- “go to Nineveh” Jonah- “no” (so here comes a big fish)
o God- “go to Nineveh” Jonah- “ok”
· Obedience will profit much:
o Go to your neighbors
o Give your tithes
o Go to Church